Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mothers Day



What does Mothers Day mean to you?  I am a mother of two adult children; daughter and son, and step-mother to two adult sons.  I grew up with five siblings.  I am the third of six girls.  My mother and I, as I recall, have never been close.  When I say close, I don't mean distance close, I mean emotionally close.  Was it my doing or hers?  That I'm not sure about.  Within this past year, I've discovered , though one of my sisters, my mother has disowned me and has taken me out of her will.  Why one asks?  Because I wrote a book and she did not like how I depicted her in it.  Does this upset me?  Honestly I have to answer, no. 

Not every mother is a June Cleaver and this is true of mine.  With six daughters, the first four, all a year- and- a- half apart in age, life must have been crazy busy for her.  The fifth arrived five years after number four and the sixth, a year and a half after number five.

 
By the time I married the first time, at age nineteen, my two younger sisters, (7 & 9 years younger than myself) were still quite young.  I feel as though us four older ones were mom and dad's practice children.  When five and six arrived, our parents become more relaxed.  Relaxed both in discipline and life itself. 

 
My mom celebrated her 78th birthday last month.  I sent her a birthday card along with copies of my current books I've written.  Due to her disowning me, I never heard a word or thank you from her.  Perhaps she threw the books away.  My hope is she donated them. 
 

With Mothers Day a few days away, I've grown to realize that a mother isn't your mother only because she gave birth to you.  A mother loves her children unconditionally.  No one is perfect and should not be taught you must be perfect to be loved. 

 
I love my children unconditionally.  It has not always been comfortable.  My daughter and son are five years apart in age.  Daughter older.  I did the best with what knowledge I had  to raise them to be honest, respectful, hard-working and loving children.  Have they always made me proud?  I will say no, but that does not mean I love them any less. 

 
A true mother loves her children whether her children grow to be a president of a successful company or an artist who sees life differently than herself.  Mothers should not judge their children's individual assets  or faults.  A mother should welcome her children's quirks, not judge them.

 
Believe me when I say, times have not always been easy with my kids.  Hence why I have to dye my hair to cover the greys they've given me.  But regardless, I love them more than life itself.  I may not see them daily, weekly or at times yearly, but my children know I am always there for them no matter what. 

 
On this Mothers day, I want to with my dear friend, Jane Herman a wonderful, unforgettable Mothers Day.  She is closer to me than my birth mother has ever been to me. 

Thank you Jane for accepting me for me, loving me for who I am, and not judging me.

Have a wonderful day!  I love you!

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comments are welcome and appreciated.
Donna