Friday, April 6, 2012

The Change of Times

When I was growing up south of Cleveland, Ohio, I was raised catholic. This meant, catechism classes on Tuesday evenings, and church on Sunday. It also meant on Good Friday, my  sisters and me would have sit quietly for two hours in the afternoon and reflect on the crucifixion of Jesus.
I'm the third of six girls in our family, with us first four all being around a year and a half apart in age from the previous one. After number four, there is a five year gap, the youngest two also a year and a half apart from one another.
Us four older one's would have to sit and not talk the entire two hours, which was nearly impossible for me since once I began talking around the age of four, (yes I was a late bloomer,) there was no shutting me up.
I recall one time, my father telling me when I was around thirteen, I would loose my voice one day because I talk too much, that our voices only have X amount of words to speak. I recall slightly tipping my head, eyebrows scrunched and telling him, "that's okay, I'll keep talking until I'm not able."

Back to sitting and praying in quite on Good Friday~ it was difficult but I must confess now that I'm much older and wiser, that time wasn't so bad. After all, it did give our mother a short time of peace and quite since our two younger sisters were usually napping at this time of day.

The change of times though. I planned on meeting my daughter and granddaughter in Vail, CO today and bring my granddaughter back so she can spend her spring break with me on the Western Slope of Colorado. Last evening when I spoke to my granddaughter, she told me that there was a change of plans because in October they had a snow day, and they were making that day up on Good Friday! What? I thought at first she was playing a late Aprils fool joke on me, and I asked her that, to which she replied, "No grandma, no Aprils fool joke, we have school tomorrow!" I could hear she was sincere.


I must confess, I no longer practice the catholic faith. Maybe Good Friday isn't a big deal any longer. But although I don't practice, I still respect other's faith. I feel my granddaughters school should also.

Tomorrow is another day, and our plan is to meet in Vail. I will still enjoy the company of my granddaughter for the entire week, before my daughter visits the following weekend. I hope my daughter enjoys her peace and quiet to study (she's in college) the week her daughter is enjoying her time with grandma.

My granddaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comments are welcome and appreciated.
Donna