Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Thursday's Poem~ Lightening Bugs

Lightening Bugs

When I was a curious little girl
I chased bright blinking lights
Into the darkness of the night.

The lighting bugs were shifty.
They were not easy to catch.
Finally, they met their match.

I placed them into a Mason jar.
I punched nail holes into the cap.
With fascination, I would rap…

Constant tapping prompted flickers.
Their lights dimmed as I went to bed
At sunrise, they were certainly dead.

I grieved and wondered why…
What could have blown their fuse?
Regretful, I did not mean to abuse.

Now I know to let them stay in the wild.
Leave them alone to dazzle with a pride.
Don’t seal them up and take them inside.

7/5/07      
Theresa Ann Moore
 
 
How was your Wednesday? Mine was busy. At the winery, we've been painting the vast space since early February. Today, I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
In between painting some trim, I enjoyed conversing with customers and having them sample our honey wine.
A couple of Mesa University  girls came in to taste. I enjoyed talking with the girls about a variety of subjects. Somehow, we got on the subject of how different scents open up your brain to memories of the past.  I told them a story about when I was a child and one Christmas, I received an ice cream maker. Being the third of six, (all females,) after I made ice cream the first time, I was the first to taste it, as my siblings stared, wishing they were me.
My sisters, anxiously anticipating my answer, ask me, "what does it taste like?"
Bending my head, my left ear facing the floor, eyes staring into the air, I responded, "it tastes like lightening bugs smell."
Have you ever experienced this?
One of the girls from the University asked myself and her friend, "what are lightening bugs?"
This girl was born and raised in southern California, and evidently, lightening bugs do not reside in this region.
I love my job, I enjoy meeting people. Everyone has a story, and I listen.
Whatever you do on your Thursday, enjoy and listen, you will probably hear a future book.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comments are welcome and appreciated.
Donna