Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Today's Poem~ Dreamland by Christina Rossetti

DREAM LAND
Christina Rossetti

Where sunless rivers weep
Their waves into the deep,
She sleeps a charmed sleep:
Awake her not.
Led by a single star,
She came from very far
To seek where shadows are
Her pleasant lot.

She left the rosy morn,
She left the fields of corn,
For twilight cold and lorn
And water springs.
Through sleep, as through a veil,
She sees the sky look pale,
And hears the nightingale
That sadly sings.

Rest, rest, a perfect rest
Shed over brow and breast;
Her face is toward the west,
The purple land.
She cannot see the grain
Ripening on hill and plain;
She cannot feel the rain
Upon her hand.

Rest, rest, for evermore
Upon a mossy shore;
Rest, rest at the heart's core
Till time shall cease:
Sleep that no pain shall wake;
Night that no morn shall break
Till joy shall overtake
Her perfect peace.


I really like this poem. During a period of time when I was in my pre-teens, and  I would go to bed at night, I would press the palms of my hands hard over my eyes until I would see what looked like little stars in the darkness of my mind, then I would 'see' little green aliens, sitting in a spaceship. They would ask me what I wished to dream  that evening when I drifted off to sleep. I would tell them, mentally not verbally, and I would drift off to sleep dreaming what I asked.
Maybe that's why unlike other children, I didn't mind going to bed, except of course when I was spent the night at my grandparents. Then I would be yawning but proclaiming I wasn't tired!

Unlike my granddaughter who is visiting me this week. When she's tired, she tells me she's heading to bed and off she goes!

Wherever your day takes you today, make it the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comments are welcome and appreciated.
Donna