Friday, May 11, 2012

If you could travel back to an earlier....

happier moment in your past, where would you journey and why?

As the third daughter of six in my family, attention was a precious commodity. My sister and I enjoyed spending weekends at our grandparents. Darlene is a year and a half younger than me. We shared a bedroom, secrets and most everything. We also were competitive. Back then as we sat in the back seat of the family station wagon on our way to the grocery store, keeping our eyes peeled for what we called, Beetle bugs, otherwise known as aVolkswagen beetle, better known as the Volkswagen bug.  Mom behind the steering wheel, Dar and I gawking out the side windows, heads swaying in unison as we each do our best to spot a bug before the other. "There's a blue one!" Darlene would yell laughing.
Every time the two of us were away from home, and even when we were home, we would search for those wonderful, cute, colorful bugs. Always trying to beat one another to spot one first, keeping score.
One weekend, Gram and Papa invited Darlene and I to spend the weekend at their home. Papa knew about our passion for beetle bugs and how we competed with one another to spot the most.
After saying our good-bye's to our mom, dad and siblings, Dar and I climb into the back seat of Gram and Papa's 1970, gold tone, Mercury Cougar. It wasn't long before we realized that we were not going directly to our grandparents home. Papa told us that we were going out to dinner, only Gram was puzzled where he was driving us. Darlene and I continued searching out and counting the bugs as we carried on. Nearly forty-five minute passed and Gram demanded to know where we were going.
At that moment, Papa turned a corner, told Darlene and I to look out the window and begin counting!
My sister and I whipped our heads to see what he was talking about, and were both shocked and amazed at what our blue eyes were seeing.
Papa had driven us to a Volkswagen Beetle car dealership. Gram and Papa smiled, as my closest sister and I laughed, counted and pointed. I don't believe either of us claimed a victory over the other that afternoon, but we sure did have fun! After parking in the dealership for ten or so minutes, Papa then took us for a lobster dinner.
Growing up in a large family, lobster dinner's never happened at home,and only few and far between at our grandparents.
We had the best weekend ever!
Where ever your Friday takes you, enjoy the journey, it may be one you look back at years from now and smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comments are welcome and appreciated.
Donna