Thursday, May 10, 2012

Who is your favorite .....?

I believe every person who reads has a favorite author or two or possibly even more.
I can honestly tell you that I have two. I won't put one above the other, but here are my favorite:
Debbie Macomber and Elizabeth Berg.
The first book I read from Elizabeth Berg which got me hooked like a fish on a worm was The Art of Mending, followed by The Year of Pleasures.
I copied and pasted from Elizabeth Bergs website what the Art of Mending is about: A woman's grown sister makes allegations about abuse she claims to have suffered at the hands of their mother when they were growing up. The book is about the way that everyone in a family has a different experience of it. The narrator must decide if what her sister is saying is true, and what her obligations now are-to her family of origin as well as to the family she has with her husband.
This book touched the core of me. If you haven't had the chance to read it, I highly recommend it!
The book, The Year of Pleasures is about: When Betta Nolan's husband, John, dies, she honors a promise she made to him to sell their house, drive across the country until she finds a town she likes, and move there. This is a novel about starting life over, and purposely enriching that life with the many pleasures, especially the small and free ones, that are always available to us. It also challenges the notion that a widow must or should behave in a certain way; and it shows how love does not die, but rather changes form.
I have read everyone of her books, and I recommend each one!
I began reading Debbie Macombers' books by chance. I lucky chance for me! Back in 2004-05, I was living in Ohio and traveling weekly for the company I was employed with. I would read a couple of books a week; sitting on the plane and in the evening. When I was home on weekends, I would make a trip to Barnes and Nobel every Saturday searching for a couple more books by Elizabeth Berg. Soon, I had read every book this bookstore had to offer by Berg. I made my way up to the help desk to inquire about a similar author. That's when I feel I hit the lottery! Another woman heard my conversation with the employee as I inquired about another author, and spoke up to enlightened me about Debbie Macomber. She assured me any book I would choose, I would be happy with. After thanking her, I traveled over where Macomber's books were, read a couple of the covers and purchased,  The Shop on Blossom Street, and A Good Yarn.
I have copied from Debbie Macombers website what The Shop on Blossom Street is about:
There's a little yarn shop on Blossom Street in Seattle. It's owned by Lydia Hoffman, and it rrepresents her dream of a new life free from cancer. A life that offers a chance at love...
Lydia teaches knitting to beginners, and the first class is "How To Make a Baby Blanket." Three women join. Jacqueline Donovan wants to knit something for her grandchild as a gesture of reconciliation with her daughter-in-law. Carol Girard feels that the baby blanket is a message of hope as she makes a final attempt to conceive. And Alix Townsend is knitting her blanket for a court-ordered community service project.
These four very different women, brought together by an age-old craft, make unexpected discoveries --- about themselves and each other. Discoveries that lead to friendship and more...

A Good Yarn is about: Lydia Hoffman owns the shop on Blossom Street. In the year since it opened, A Good Yarn has thrived -- and so has Lydia. A lot of that is due to Brad Goetz. But when Brad's ex-wife reappears, Lydia is suddenly afraid to trust her newfound happiness.
Three women join Lydia's newest class. Elise Beaumont, retired and bitterly divorced, learns that her onetime husband is reentering her life. Bethanne Hamlin is facing the fallout from a much more recent divorce. And Courtney Pulanski is a depressed and overweight teenager, whose grandmother's idea of helping her is to drag her to seniors' swim sessions -- and to the knitting class at A Good Yarn.


After arriving home the following Friday evening from my week on the road, I was hooked. To date, I have read most everyone of her books. I am currently reading 1105 Yakima Street. In the past, I read the others from this series.
Times have changed since 04 & 05, I no longer am employed with the company I was, I moved from Ohio to Colorado, am re-married and when I'm not working at the winery, in my garden, or daily chores, I am doing the one thing I've always loved doing, as much as reading, that is writing. I have recently organized and am beginning this Friday, May 11th,  the first meeting for a writers group, here in Palisade, CO. If you live in the area, and are interested, please join us. Our gathering will be held at the Palisade, CO library on 3rd Ave, at 3:00 pm.
Where ever your Thursday leads you, I hope you find time to read a chapter from one of your favorite authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comments are welcome and appreciated.
Donna